SOC Consortium Publications/Forms/Resources
SOC Brochure (PDF 924KB) provides an overview of the SOC Consortium and other SOC operating programs.
SOC Consortium Guide
The SOC Consortium Guide provides specific information on each institutional member of the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Consortium. The Institutional Information page for each college or university contains the names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of a SOC Representative, Counselor, and Veterans Program Administrator/Certifying Official; a list of military installations served; policies on awarding of credit for national testing programs, military experience, and other non-traditional learning; and membership in the SOCAD, SOCNAV, SOCMAR, and SOCCOAST degree networks. The Guide also contains the SOC Principles and Criteria; a listing of SOC staff, sponsoring and cooperating organizations represented on the SOC Advisory Board; and a section on non-traditional learning. The Guide is printed biennially.
- SOC Consortium Guide 2011-2013 Volume One - Alabama-Montana (PDF 3.5MB)
- SOC Consortium Guide 2011-2013 Volume Two - Nebraska-Wyoming (PDF 4.4MB)
Electronic copies of the SOC Consortium Guide are also available on CD-ROM at no charge to military education personnel and counseling staff at SOC Consortium colleges. These may be obtained by submitting a request to SOC.
SOC Consortium Institutional Membership
Application for Institutional Membership (PDF 100KB)
SOC Principles and Criteria (PDF 196KB)
SOC Standards of Good Practice (PDF 84KB)
- Educational Attainment: Tracking the Academic Success of Servicemembers and Veterans — (PDF 428KB)
SOC has released its much anticipated white paper, Educational Attainment: Tracking the Academic Success of Servicemembers and Veterans. The paper is the result of a working group of higher education and military Voluntary Education strategic thinkers and data analysts charged with developing a universal framework to identify and track members of the Uniformed Services.
The paper includes: (1) an inclusive definition of military student and veteran student; (2) guidelines for establishing individual cohorts; (3) collection variables to cross-analyze the data; and (4) recommendations for next steps.
The paper's national context is timely, as the Executive Branch has recently set forth rules and requirements to establish accountability and transparency in the academic success of servicemembers and veterans. Multiple bills have been submitted in Congress on the same topic.
- Military Student Bill of Rights — (PDF 104KB) The Military Student Bill of Rights spells out ten specific “rights” that military students should have as they explore, enroll, and work toward degrees or certificates at SOC Consortium colleges and universities.
- Pocket Guide for College Outreach to Military Students — (PDF 960KB) The Pocket Guide for College Outreach to Military Students is a resource for colleges and universities to help shape their outreach to the military community and guide the development and implementation of quality education programs and support services for the military and veteran students at their institutions. It is designed to assist institutions in establishing effective relationships with the Department of Defense (DoD) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and their education personnel.
- Programs and Services for Servicemembers, Veterans, and Family Members — (XLS 168KB) This Excel spreadsheet is a resource for military students, colleges, universities, and organizations interested in military education. It includes information on campus programs, scholarships, web pages, administrative support, and other services offered to veterans and their family members. The highlighted areas indicate programs and services for wounded warriors.
- Education Calculator (XLS 36KB) The Education
Calculator is a tool designed to determine the out-of-pocket
costs associated with attending a college/university after Military Education benefits are applied. Instructions and
current education benefits are provided for ease of use.
Once college cost data and education benefit data are entered,
the approximate cost of attending a particular college/university
is automatically calculated. This tool is especially useful for
recruiters, individuals considering serving in the military
and taking advantage of the generous education benefits, and
current Servicemembers interested in using their education benefits
to pursue or complete their college degree.
Colleges’ staff will find the Pocket Guide a starting point in developing relationships with the military community and military students. It provides specific guidance for college outreach to potential students and offers suggestions for supporting military students enrolled in the college. The Pocket Guide also points to standards, regulations, and resources that apply to the delivery of education programs to military students and veterans.
Opportunity contains program management information for the college and military educators who use the SOC system. Although they are sent to those on the SOC mailing list, electronic versions may be downloaded using the links below.
- Opportunity — April 2013 (PDF 405KB)
- Opportunity — September 2012 (PDF 260KB)
- Opportunity — December 2011 (PDF 256KB)
- Opportunity — August 2011 (PDF 276KB)
- Opportunity — February 2011 (PDF 236KB)
- Opportunity — May 2010 (PDF 820KB)
- Opportunity — May 2009 (PDF 336KB)
- Opportunity — December 2008 (PDF 316KB)
- Opportunity — June 2008 (PDF 324KB)
The Military Educator is the newsletter of the Commission on Military Education and Training (CMET) edited and distributed by Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges. It documents CMET proceedings and provides the latest information regarding education programs, services, writings and personnel relevant to the DoD Voluntary Education Program. Although they are sent to those on the CMET mailing list, electronic versions may be downloaded using the links below.
- The Military Educator — February 2013 (PDF 343KB)
- The Military Educator — July 2012 (PDF 320KB)
- The Military Educator — October 2011 (PDF 492KB)
- The Military Educator — April 2011 (PDF 436KB)
- The Military Educator — September 2010 (PDF 396KB)
- The Military Educator — March 2010 (PDF 816KB)
- The Military Educator — October 2009 (PDF 512KB)
- The Military Educator — February 2009 (PDF 524KB)
- The Military Educator — August 2008 (PDF 440KB)
- The Military Educator — January 2008 (PDF 736KB)