Although the SOCAD Army Career Degree Program and degree plans are usually introduced at AIT, Advanced Leader or WOBC, any soldier can use it to plan a degree. Remember, the degree plan is for planning purposes and a completed SOCAD Student Agreement is still needed as a personal degree plan.
Follow these steps to determine how useful the Degree Plan might be for you:
STEP 1. DO YOU ALREADY HAVE A DEGREE PLAN IN PROGRESS? If so, does it lead to the degree you want? Have you already completed the minimum academic residency required? Are you planning to complete the degree?
STEP 2. IF YOU ANSWER “YES” TO QUESTIONS IN STEP ONE, changes may not be necessary. When you arrive at your next duty station, continue taking the courses needed to complete your degree.
STEP 3. IF YOU ANSWER “NO” TO QUESTIONS IN STEP ONE, examine the degree opportunity provided by your MOS's SOCAD Army Career Degree plan. It is valuable because it shows you:
- College degree programs that related to your MOS. Read SELECTING
THE RIGHT SOCAD ARMY CAREER DEGREE to help you select the right
one to meet your needs.
- Each degree requirement and any military experience that
will satisfy it. The college has evaluated your MOS and Army
training courses and determined their value in the degree.
- Specific ways including distance learning, testing, certification, and licensing options to meet the degree's requirements.
STEP 4. Page through the SOCAD Army Career Degree plan and estimate where you stand (i.e., How much credit do you already have? Are the options for completing the remaining requirements realistic possibilities for you?).
STEP 5. If you want to pursue the degree:
- Inform your next duty station's Army Education Center that
you intend to pursue the degree shown in your SOCAD Army Career
- Contact the college representative listed on your SOCAD Army Career Degree plan if there is no local representative and request a SOCAD Student Agreement based on the degree plan.
STEP 6. If you, or anyone trying to assist you, needs help implementing a SOCAD Army Career Degree plan contact the SOCAD Project Director or Army Career Degree Program Manager at 800-368-5622, firstname.lastname@example.org.